Want my personal secret to a nourished metabolism?
It’s my coffee smoothie recipe.
Boost Your Metabolism with My Secret Coffee Smoothie Recipe
Credit:livingthenourishedlife.com
Here’s why:
You see, I feel those little habits we make time for every day are the ones that matter the most.
It’s not about a 30-day detox or a 90-day exercise plan. It’s about those small, consistent behaviors that happen every day. Those are the ones that shape who we are and who we become.
And that’s my coffee smoothie.
For the last four years, I’ve been eating the same easy breakfast almost without exception. Let’s say 9 days out of 10, this is how I start my morning.
I’ve perfected the recipe over the years into something that nourishes and replenishes me in every way first thing in the morning.
It’s such a strong habit that I don’t even think about it. I wouldn’t forget it any more than I would forget to shower.
Here’s another benefit:
When you start the day with one healthy habit, for some reason it’s a lot easier to make healthier choices for the rest of the day, too.
Plus, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, am I right?
What do I love about this coffee smoothie?
Here are just a few things:
  • It’s easy. I confess: I don’t always (like never) feel like cooking breakfast. This takes me about 3 minutes to put together once the coffee is brewed. I usually brew it ahead of time to make it even easier.
  • It’s a balance of carbs, fat and protein. If you’ve read my book The Nourished Metabolism, then you’ve heard this more than a few times:
    our bodies love it when we give them a balance of all macronutrients. This coffee smoothie puts it all in a neat little package first thing in the morning.
  • It’s easy to digest. My body doesn’t like super heavy food first thing in the morning. This smoothie fills me up, but doesn’t weigh down my digestive system all morning.
  • It packs a nutrition punch. Seriously, this coffee smoothie has just about every nutrient you can think of. I believe in eating food that combines the power of energy and nutrients, and this breakfast does just that.
  • My skin, hair and nails love this drink! Read more about why below.

The Secret Ingredients in My Coffee Smoothie

Here are the main ingredients in my coffee smoothie, and why I use them:

ORGANIC, FAIR-TRADE COFFEE

Of course, there is coffee in my coffee smoothie. And while any coffee will do, I like to choose an organic, fair-trade brand that tastes amazing.
What are my favorite choices?
Sometimes I like the milder Vienna roast, and sometimes the dark and robust French roast. It depends on my mood and I tend to alternate back and forth.


REAL MILK

I opt for the highest quality milk I can find locally. Sometimes it’s organic milk. Sometimes I’m able to spring for raw milk fresh from the farm. I give myself a lot of flexibility in this area.
But this ingredient definitely brings a punch of nutrition to my coffee smoothie, and makes it creamy and delicious, too.
Not into dairy?
You can easily substitute coconut milk in this recipe.

RAW EGG YOLKS

This is one of my super secret powerhouse ingredients.
Here’s why:
Egg yolks are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, essential fats, and protein. I notice when I leave these out, my skin starts to look dull and break out after a few days. That’s enough evidence for me!
I use 1-2 raw egg yolks in my morning smoothie. They make it extra creamy, but otherwise I don’t taste them at all.

COLLAGEN

This is my other powerhouse secret: collagen protein powder. I use this amazing pasture-raised collagen because it blends easily into my coffee smoothie and comes from a quality source. This makes my smoothie high-protein and very filling.
And as a huge side benefit?
My hair and nails grow like crazy! My hair stylist can’t believe how fast my hair grows.
My husband notices the name trend when he makes sure to include gelatin in his diet every day (he also says it helps his joints — he does heavy weight training several times a week, so he notices a big difference!).

WHOLESOME SWEETENERS

I need my carbs in the mornings. They are a great source of easily digested energy after a long night of sleep, and fuel for the day ahead.
Worried about your blood sugar?
Since this recipe contains plenty of protein and healthy fat, the carbs don’t adversely affect my blood sugar.

COCONUT OIL

Coconut oil is my last secret ingredient. It can boost the metabolism and help with weight loss, and is also an important source of lauric acid. All around, I consider coconut oil a super fat that has super benefits!
Using coconut milk instead of dairy?
If you use coconut milk, you don’t need to add any coconut oil to your smoothie, as it will already contain the beneficial fats.

My Secret Coffee Smoothie Recipe

Makes one 16-oz serving

INGREDIENTS:

  • 6 ounces of fresh brewed coffee
  • 4-8 ounces of milk or coconut milk
  • 1-2 raw egg yolks
  • 2-4 tablespoons collagen
  • 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (or your preferred sweetener to taste)
  • 1-3 teaspoons coconut oil

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Put all your ingredients into a large glass.
  2. Use a hand blender to blend everything together smoothly. 
  3. You can also throw everything into a traditional blender if needed. Blend until smooth.
Note: If you are adding hot coffee I recommend blending all of the other ingredients first before added the coffee. Otherwise your egg yolks can get cooked, which is a little… yucky.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top