How the Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy came to be my new favorite summer cold relief…

MIRACLE SLUSHIE SORE THROAT REMEDY
Credit:thekitchengirl.com
But first, here’s a little note to avoid any confusion or disappointment on readers’ behalf:
[NOTE: This blogpost recounts my personal experience of enduring and relieving my pain from a sore throat event. The information in this postdoes not guarantee pain relief, nor is it intended to cure the cause of sore throat pain. This post is also not to be interpreted as medical advice or as a substitute for medical attention. It is intended for informational and entertainment purposes only. – sincerely, The Kitchen Girl]
Ok, on with the story…
A few weeks ago as I was in the throes of a cold with a very, very sore throat. Who am I kidding?…I had fire tonsils…and I needed relief!
It was so painful to swallow, eat, drink, sleep, walk, talk, and laugh. Yes, I actually laughed…a few times. The pain lasted for days. My doc ruled out strep throat on day 3. So, I sucked it up. Tell you what…it sucked!
You know how everyone tells you to “gargle with warm salt water” when you have a sore throat? Naturally, I did…
And it did NOT relieve my pain…I felt like I was swallowing glass!
Instead, I started eating ice…“Aaaaaaahhhh, yes!”
But I needed to drink ice. So, what was a fire-tonsiled girl to do? Create a recipe for some serious relief – the Ginger Honey Lemon Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy.
From that day forward, I froze my pain. Oh, and Advil was the slushie’s partner in crime. Thank the gods in heaven for ibuprofen!…and slushies!
So, this didn’t suck…in fact it was AWESOME!!! It relieved my pain to a bearablelevel of discomfort, so I could at least eat and stay hydrated…with a delicious beverage, no less. Please don’t be confused though, this was for my sore throat relief…it DID NOT cure my sore throat. That took time because my illness had to run its course.
I don’t even know what gave me the idea to make the slushie…other than the fact that everyone tells you to drink “warm honey and lemon water” which, at the time, was as ineffective as the salt water for this obnoxious pain. Warm liquids were just not doing it for me…like I said, it sucked. Worst sore throat, evah!
Until I came up with this recipe…


MIRACLE SLUSHIE SORE THROAT REMEDY

2-3 inch piece Fresh Ginger (washed and sliced into 1/2 “ pieces; no need to peel)
4 cups Filtered Water
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/4 cup Raw Honey
4 cups Ice Cubes
  1. In a saucepan, combine GINGER and WATER; bring to a rolling boil for a few minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes. (the longer you simmer, the stronger the base becomes)
  2. Remove from heat; remove and discard GINGER; add LEMON JUICE and HONEY; stir to combine. (*Note, if using RAW HONEY, make sure the water has cooled to 140° (or less) to retain its beneficial properties; boiling is 212°) See Patty’s recommendation in the ‘comments section’ below…and thanks Patty 🙂
  3. Cool mixture to room temperature (ideally, it’s chilled).
  4. When it’s cooled/chilled, pour into a blender (I use the Ninja Mega Kitchen System 1500), add ICE CUBES, and blend until it becomes a slushie. You may need to adjust the amount of ice cubes, depending on the temperature of your mixture.
I used the entire amount of chilled liquid to make a big batch of slushies in my Ninja large pitcher attachment. However, you could use the Ninja single-serving containers where approx 1 cup chilled liquid gets blended with 1 cup ice cubes. You can adjust flavor and consistency to your liking also.
And, here is the awesome appliance I used to make the slushie:
Of course this all makes me realize yet another reason I love my Ninja Blender.
 Here’s what really worked about the Miracle Slushie Sore Throat Remedy…for the win, in fact:
  • I found a sooooothing alternative to the very unpleasant feeling of swallowing glass (from the salt water).
  • I avoided sugary, processed, sore-throat remedies. Those things are just weird!
  • I was able to stay hydrated with very little pain (the biggest win!)
  • I enjoyed the flavors and natural benefits of ginger, honey, and lemon. Yum!
When I became well again, I made a few batches of this slushie recipe to test on the neighbor kids…you know, to see if they liked it as a yummy, summer slushie. They LOVED it! On both occasions. They were all like “gimme my own BIG cup with a spoon!” That was a small miracle in itself!
Have you ever made your own slushies at home? The possibilities are endless for flavor combinations…and you can skip the sugar overload and food dyes usually found in conventional slushies.
During my sore throat extravaganza, I even came up with a boozy slushie with cherries, blueberries, honey, vodka, and ice. I’ll take that on a summer day too! Oh, and I created a green mint chip smoothie made with real peppermint oil. Oh my.
And while we’re on the subject of healing foods, I wrote a recipe for a 15-minute, Asian-inspired, pho soup. Naturally, it’s called Feel Better Pho…and it’s vegetarian! In fact, it’s vegan. For the win!
I was an icy drink lunatic! But relief was my goal…and relief I did have!
Cheers to good health! Life just isn’t as fun without it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top